Baja Beer Battered Mango “Fish” Tacos
Get ready to cook
1. Gently wash the banana blossom to remove any excess brine; dry on paper towels. In a bowl, toss with Mexican Chilli Paste; cover and leave to marinate for at least 30 mins in the chiller.
2. In the meantime, make the dressing by whisking Mexican Chilli Orange Paste with vegan mayonnaise until well combined; set aside.
3. For the slaw, toss the coleslaw mix with Mexican Chilli Orange Paste and lime juice; set aside.
4. Once marinated, cut the banana blossom into 2 inch pieces. To prepare the batter, first ensure the beer is ice cold. Mix the flour and baking powder in a bowl and pour in the beer; mix well until thick and smooth. Coat each piece with batter and deep fry for around 2 mins, turning halfway, until golden all over. Drain on a paper towel.
5. Assemble by spreading each tortilla with dressing. Top with “fish” pieces, slaw, diced mango and coriander. Serve 2 tacos as a portion with lime wedge.
Banana Blossom “Fish”
100g Mexican Chilli Orange Paste
520g tinned banana blossom (approx. 2 tins drained)
150g vegan mayonnaise
150g Mexican Chilli Orange Paste
250g coleslaw mix
50g Mexican Chilli Orange Paste
Juice of ½ lime
400g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
550ml vegan beer
Tacos & Toppings
20 mini tortillas
2 finely diced mangoes
50g chopped coriander
10 Lime wedges