Colombian Pulled Pork and Feta Arepas
Get ready to cook
1. In a large bowl, add slow cooked pulled pork, stir fried onions and 150g Mexican Chilli Orange Paste; mix well to flavour.
2. To make dressing, mix 150g Mexican Chilli Orange Paste with mayonnaise.
3. To assemble, split open arepas bread. Spread with 2 tablespoons dressing. Add pulled pork. Top with feta and chopped coriander. Serve immediately.
1. Pour water in a bowl and add salt. Slowly add maize meal and mix.
2. Once combined add vegetable oil and knead into a smooth dough. Divide into 10 equal pieces and roll into balls. Flatten each ball into a circular disc about ½ inch thick and 4 inches in diameter (about palm sized).
3. Melt butter in a non-stick pan and pan fry each side for 5mins each until a dry crust forms. Place on a baking sheet and bake in a pre-heated fan oven at 160°C for 10mins. Remove from oven and rest for 5mins before filling.
600g slow cooked pulled pork
200g stir fried sliced onions
10 arepas breads (see recipe below)
150g crumbled feta cheese
¼ bunch chopped coriander to garnish
To make 10 arepas breads
3 ¾ cups (approx. 490g) pre-cooked white maize meal (we use PAN brand)
4 ½ cups water (approx. 1litre)
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter